Mom Night Out - With abbyandfinn.com
I don’t think anyone would argue that all moms deserve a night out! It’s time that Mom takes her first shower for a few days and changes out of her mom uniform of black yoga pants, tee shirt and ponytail. It’s easy for Mom to say, “Oh yeah, we should totally get together!” and then never actually commit and take the initiative to plan something. It’s time to seize the day and set a date! Get someone on kid duty, layout some clean diapers and jammies and hit the town! It’s OK to take a break from your kids and no one would argue that you don’t love them to pieces. Go and put your big girl shoes on, maybe apply a little mascara, and for me, trade in my sports bra for a real one to give my boobs some actual support since my two girls have sucked the life out of them!
You don’t have to make elaborate plans to justify a mom’s night out. We usually plan on going out on a weeknight because schedules are generally more flexible, you’re more likely to get a reservation and it’s easier to have a spouse or sitter look after the kids. It can be something as simple as going out to dinner. Hey, it’s going to feel luxurious to relax while you eat without constantly picking crayons up off the floor, telling your kid fifty times to start eating or shoveling food in your mouth so you can be done and back home before bedtime.
My first mom’s night out was with three lovely ladies at a restaurant that had Wine Wednesdays (half priced bottles). SCORE! Since then our group has expanded. We bring a friend and our circle of mom friends expands. We all bond and trade war stories about being a parent, we also talk about something other than Daniel Tiger, and there are always lots of laughs!
So to the moms out there, get a couple girlfriends together, put a date in your calendar and get out of the house! You deserve a break, even if it’s only for a few hours. I promise, it will be well worth it! Here are some fun ideas of what you can do on your mom’s night out!
- Dinner - You can try that place you have been eyeing forever. Search for happy hour or daily specials. Pick a place you probably wouldn’t go to with your kids.
- Movie -Pick a movie that isn’t rated PG and one your spouse probably wouldn’t want to see anyways. Get YOUR favorite snack knowing you won’t have to share with little sticky fingers and sit back and relax!
- Wine and Painting – There are a variety of different places with the same concept. Follow a step-by-step instruction on how to paint a particular picture while sipping on some wine. When we first had this idea, I kind of thought that this would be a bust. I’m not super artistic and didn’t think I would find anywhere in our house to actually hang the final “masterpiece”. However, let me tell you, those creative juices really start flowing after a couple glasses of wine, and I was actually pleasantly surprised with how my canvas turned out. My “Funky Sunflower” painting is now prominently displayed in our basement hallway. Also remember, if you paint anything for your kid, they are going to think that you are Picasso no matter how it turns out.
- Crafting and Drinks. Surely this is picking up around the country, but in Denver there is a bar/craft place where you pick what craft you want to do (making jewelry, string art, leatherwork, woodwork, etc). You then receive your printed instructions and materials, and you sit down at a table with your friends and complete your project while getting served drinks. Really fun!
- Escape room – This new, trendy activity forces you to think outside the box and challenges your mom brain to really pull it together! Get locked in a room with your girlfriends and get an allotted amount of time to solve a series of puzzles and riddles using clues, hints and strategy to complete the mission at hand. We picked a casino heist scenario where we had an hour to break out of a casino vault. While we made a valiant effort, the seven of us did not escape before time ran out… Regardless, it was fun and something totally different.
- Comedy show – Get your laugh on and dare your mom friends not to pee her pants! We went to an amateur night and watched a ton of different acts and it was absolutely hilarious.
- Cooking Class – If you are like me and my mom friends, we all love food! We are also always looking for new ideas to spruce up our weekly staples of spaghetti and grilled chicken and salad. Brush up on your knife skills, chat with your friends and sit down to a nice meal that isn’t underappreciated by little squirts who are adamantly detesting the meal you just worked so hard to make.
- Bowling – Who doesn’t feel a little snazzy and hipster when you put on those bowling shoes? Great for a bigger group so you aren’t stuck at a big, long table trying to catch up with your friend on the opposite end. Laugh at yourself, work on your moonwalk dance and have some friendly competition while drinking pitchers of beer and eating pizza. These days you can also find bowling places that have a broader menu and some drink options other than PBR if that’s more up your alley!
- Game night – I’m not talking about Shoots and Ladders here, ladies! There are some fun and hilarious games out there like Cards Against Humanity and Codenames, which is a bit more appropriate for adults. These games consist of mostly cards so you can easily stick them in your bag and pull them out at a bar or restaurant. You can also search for restaurants in your neighborhood that already have board games, and/or ping pong, pool, shuffleboard, giant Jenga, etc. Good times!
- Mani/Pedi – Treat yourself and your body! We are always running around looking after our kids, changing diapers, etc. that we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves. Personally, nail care isn’t part of my normal routine (I mostly focus on trying to shower), so going to a salon and getting pampered is always special, even if I always manage to chip my nail polish before I even leave the salon!
So, go forth fellow mamas! Rally your mom friends together and paint the town red! Or at least till about 9:00pm when you are all tired and ready for bed!